When choosing the perfect look for an event, we strive to be unique. We wade through our closets, clothing store displays, or selections from online retailers always in search of a dress. Obviously a girl can never go wrong with a charming, classic, or altogether fabulous frock. But this time, turn your back on the predictability of dresses for an unlikely style star once reserved for the gym. Running shorts, previously fit for only the treadmill, can now be found in sumptuous silks and punchy patterns ideal for a night out. Designer Rory Edelman of Rory Beca has capitalized on this soon-to-be fashion staple with her “Orissa” silk running shorts. She is inspired to create exotically printed and impeccably detailed pieces by exploring vintage shows, private collections, and antique shops all over the world. If that doesn’t motivate you to run full speed into this new look, maybe some styling tips can be your “Ready, Set, Go!”
In this first look, the pattern really pops. Choose a flatteringly cut, solid-colored blouse that brings out one of the colors, like the bright aqua. Add a sheer cardigan and some chunky wedges for an easy yet stylish ensemble.
- Rory Beca “Orissa” Print Silk Running Shorts, $95.90, nordstrom.com
- Dani Blouse, $52.80, sanctuaryclothing.com
- LOVE SAM Beaded Cardigan, $199, calypsostbarth.com
- Nelly Shoes, $82, nelly.com
- Michael Kors Snakeskin Clutch, $135, psyche.co.uk
- Alex and Ani Gypsy 66 Wrap Bracelet, $58, alexandani.com
- Stila Golden Goddess Kit, $45, stilacosmetics.com
Solid black shorts pair well with bold color in the form of a floaty, tucked in blouse. Neutral accessories pull the look together, and edgy jewelry complete with gold spikes can keep it from seeming too blah.
- Rory Beca “Orissa” Silky Running Shorts, $74, nordstrom.com
- Raquel Allegra Liquid Satin Long Sleeve Blouse, $435, lagarconne.com
- AX Paris Dark Nude Platforms, $47, axparis.co.uk
- Peach Faux Snake Clutch, $31, lavishalice.com
- ASOS Pack of Two Rose Spike Stretch Bracelets, $24.86, asos.com
- Retro Rosie Earrings, $9.99, modcloth.com
- NARS Beach Lover Set, $49, sephora.com
Color is key in this look. Orange and turquoise is a no-fail combination and plays well with the zigzagged stripes. A neutral blouse beneath the blazer and neutral shoes provide the base for a playful color palette.
- Rory Beca “Orissa” Silk Running Shorts, $103.60, shopbop.com
- NSF Collette Sleeveless Top, $196, otteny.com
- Ponte Boyfriend Blazer, $70, topshop.com
- Mrs. Robinson Python Skin Clutch, $295, question-air.com
- Kendra Scott Skylar Earrings, $65, charmandchain.com
- Philosophy Divine Illumination Kit, $38, philosophy.com
Whatever pieces you mix and match to create a luxe event look all your own, keep in mind that silk running shorts ooze casual chic. A simple blouse or blazer can be taken to the next level with color combos and accessories that speak to you. Strut past all those dresses in your most unique outfit yet.