One of the biggest trends for spring 2012 is color blocking, an art which can be tricky and scary for many. The thing to remember is to have fun with it! Not sure how to color block? No worries! With the help of our guide and the trusty color wheel, you’ll be a color blocking guru in no time.
The most basic way to color block is to use 2-3 colors within the same color scheme and pair them with neutrals or black accessories. You can use this method with any scheme listed below—get ready to experiment!
1. Analogous Color Scheme
The analogous color scheme uses any three consecutive hues or any of their tints and shades on the color wheel. As they sit next to each other on the color wheel, these will mix together harmoniously.
- Red, red-violet, violet
- Violet, blue-violet, blue
- Green, yellow-green, yellow
2. Complementary Color Scheme
The complementary scheme uses direct opposites on the color wheel. Though they create a bold look when worn together, they can be neutralized with nude, white, gray, or black.
- Green and red
- Blue and orange
- Violet and yellow
3. Triadic Color Scheme
The triadic color scheme uses colors that are evenly spaced from each other on the color wheel. These tend to be vibrant, so focus on one hue and use the other two as accents when working with this color scheme.
- Green, Orange, Purple
- Blue, Red, Yellow
Now that you know the basics, rock your colors proudly! Here are some bold outfit ideas to get you started:
Look#1: Blue, Yellow, and Black
Make a statement for a casual outing with friends or while traipsing off to class in this triadic color scheme look. Following our basic rule, pair blue and yellow together and throw in some black and white accents.
- Finley Blouse: $115.00
- J. Crew 3″ Chino Shorts in Lemon Zest : $45.00
- French Connection Spotty Dotty Scarf: $29.95
- Kate Spade Gumdrop Yellow Stud Earrings: $38.00
- Pleated Foldover Clutch in Royal: $58.00
- Modcloth Matinee Marathon Sandal: $32.99
- Quay Sunglasses: $32.00
Look #2: Green, Orange & Violet – Pastel Remix
For this look, incorporate spring’s pastel trend by remixing the secondary colors. Mint, lavender, and apricot pieces accessorized with gold and nude accessories give off a chic and classy look, keeping it interesting but not overpowering.
- Weekday July Blouse: $40.00
- All Over Lace Apricot Shorts: $28.99
- Tasha “Rose” Minaudiere Box Clutch: $98.00
- Chevron Collar Necklace : $20.00
- Lauren Conrad Floral Studs: $7.20
- Enamel Stone Band Rings : $18.00
- Thomasina Platforms in Mint: $39.99
Look # 3: Red, Violet & Nude
Add a fun twist to your outfit by using a neutral animal print to complement a daring red and violet outfit.
- Jackie Pullover in Vibrant Flame: $65.00
- Warehouse Colored Ultra Skinny Jeans in Dark Purple: $71.00
- Twist and Stone Bangles in Gold/Brown: $5.80
- Twist Lock Crossbody in Pink: $19.80
- C Label Wale-4 Wedge Pump in Beige: $45.95
- Leopard Suedette Jeans belt: $8.00
- Love & Beauty Iridescent Nude Nail Polish: $2.80
- Stella & Dot On The Mark Necklace: $49.00