Did you get a chance to check out this years’ Kids’ Choice Awards a few weeks ago? While the awards and performances are usually the main attraction, we really know that at these awards shows fashion is what it’s all about. Here are some of our top picks for fun and fresh trends spotted on the red carpet.
1. Color on color: Whether it was on Emma Stone (love her!), Kristen Stewart, or Katy Perry, I couldn’t help but notice the overload of color on color matching and contrast. Each of these stars chose one color for their base, and piled on the clothes and accessories in almost the exact same shade. This look can be a hit or a miss – especially if your color is a little bit off. The last thing you’d want is to create an irritating dis-harmony in your outfit by trying to be too matchy-matchy. But if you can find the right pieces in the right shades, color on color matching is a fun way to spruce up your spring and summer outfits.
2. Big, Bold, Beautiful Hair: Personally, dying my hair has always been a bit of a source of anxiety. I’ve never done permanent dyes, only semi-permanent types and those terrible Halloween colors you buy at the sketchy stores in the mall. But at this Kids’ Choice Awards we spotted more than just a few stars with outrageously colored hair–and I have to admit, it worked. Katy Perry’s blue and purple ponytail may be a stretch for your average everyday, but Kelly Osbourne’s light purple hair, for example, looked like something you could actually work with.
3. Fabulous Footwear: For anyone who has ever felt that having the right shoes was more important than the dress to go with it, well, then this was the red (or orange) carpet for you. Between Heidi Klum’s sky high boots and Kelly Osbourne’s hot pink stilettos, that would be enough to have you enticed. But even the younger stars, ie. Willow Smith, were rocking some pretty sweet kicks–namely spiked black lace-up boots. Awesome!
4. Pretty Prints: If there’s one thing I’d love to see more of, it would be outfits like The Hunger Games’ Willow Shields. Her hot pink top and cute, black and patterned skirt were absolutely adorable. Prints are going to be in this summer, and I’m absolutely in love with the large abstract version on her skirt.
5. Orange!: If this wasn’t the most appropriate color to wear for the Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Awards, then I’m not sure what was. Plenty of stars showed up in a variety of oranges, from Victoria Justice’s salmon shorts-suit to Ashley Tisdale’s floor length patterned dress to Al Roker’s Nickelodeon-colored orange sweater. Maybe I’m biased because orange is my absolute favorite color–but I can assure you it’s looking to be very popular this spring and summer (check Women’s Wear Daily’s report from the Pantone Color Institute if you don’t believe me!).
I’ve had my say, now we want to hear from you. What trends did you like the most at the KCA? Who wore what best? Let us know what you think!